17-year-old summons cops for officer-involved shooting in Sioux Falls

Published: Sep. 20, 2022 at 9:21 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (Dakota News Now) - Sioux Falls police said a 17-year-old told a dispatcher he was going to commit a felony and that officers should meet him at his ex’s house with an ambulance because he was ready to use his gun.

Sioux Falls Police Chief Jon Thum said that on Monday at 5:11 p.m., police responded to a man who called saying his “ex ruined his life.” The 17-year-old requested police and an ambulance meet him at his ex’s address in northwest Sioux Falls because he had a gun and was “ready to shoot someone in the face and get shot as well.”

The dispatcher thought they could hear the suspect assembling a gun and notified officers. Authorities traced the phone number to identify the man and then figured out who the ex in question was. Officers called the ex, who had received similar messages from the man involved and was home with their family. Authorities told them to shelter in place, and officers responded to the residence to protect the individuals in the house.

Officers saw the man approximately half a block from the house, and the 17-year-old immediately displayed a handgun. A negotiator happened to be on duty and tried to convince the man to drop the gun, but the dialogue was unsuccessful.

At first, officers tried to use a 30 mm less-lethal launcher, which did not stop the man. The minor then raised the weapon at the officers, and officers shot the 17-year-old once and then immediately rendered aid on the scene until paramedics arrived and transported him to a local hospital. The male is in surgery at the hospital.

Authorities discovered the man involved was carrying a fake gun.

Chief Thum said since the man involved is a juvenile, the court system and state’s attorney will help determine the best course of action and whether the man will face charges.

DCI will investigate the incident that took place. Chief Thum said this was a rapidly evolving situation that took place within 20-25 minutes. During Monday’s comprehensive security briefing, multiple authorities in Sioux Falls expressed concern for officers’ safety as people are increasingly willing to use firearms. This is the 8th officer-involved shooting in Sioux Falls since last October.