Supporters gather to support son of murdered woman

Published: May. 16, 2019 at 9:58 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Candace Rough Surface was murdered by two men in 1980.

Earlier this month, her son, Homer Eagle, learned that one of those men is set to be paroled.

"My mom was brutally murdered when I was about two years old," said Homer Eagle, son of Candace Rough Surface.

Homer Eagle has lived most of his life without his Mother, Candace Rough Surface.

"I didn't find out anything really about how it was done until I was a teenager," Eagle said.

Since then, Homer has had to deal with facing his Mother's murderer in court during the trial.

"That was very hard for me because growing up without parents was hard enough, but then having to face the murderer, the murderers, was even, it's been a challenge needless to say. Just dealing with the whole thing, it's just really hard to keep it together," said Eagle.

Now, hearing the news that Nicholas Scherr, the man who took his Mom from him would soon be released is bringing back some old feelings.

"I thought all this time you know, I would have gotten over it, I would have never had to deal with it anymore. The first thought in my mind was is something going to happen to my kids," said Eagle.

Today, several organizations joined Homer and his family for a remembrance walk, and a community prayer.

"I knew that the prayer was going to be, there was going to be more people involved, more organizations, the walk was for me and my children so that we can do something together for their Grandma," Eagle said.

"Native women who are murdered or go missing, or are sexually assaulted, or are in domestic violence relationships, it just seems like we don't matter as much," said Jessica Young Bird with the Sacred Plume Shelter.

For Homer, he wants to spend more time working to help victims like his Mother.

His own past life experience has shaped his future.

"I'm going to try and be more active in helping with all these missing cases. I'm definitely going to try to make myself more available to these organizations, and use what resources I have to help," said Eagle.

Michael Winder, the Department of Corrections Communications Manager said Scherr's parole plan is still being worked on.

He'll remain in the Mike Durfee State Prison until that plan is approved.

Scherr's accomplice, who is his cousin, James Stroh, was paroled in 2004.